I have officially been to Hong Kong three times in the span of five months. It is an incredible place to be. It’s really one of the few “East meets the West” cities in the world. From my experience of being there three times, I’ve had a fair share of place I’ve been and places I still have yet to have gone. The first time I went there was during Chinese New Year’s so it was SUPER crazy touristy and the fireworks were endless. Anyways, if you have just one weekend to spend in Hong Kong, this is a list of things you must do and see while you’re there!
1. See the beautiful scenery between the airport going into the city. There are many ways to get into the city: taxi, bus and metro (also known as MTR in Hong Kong). My recommendation is to take the bus, it’s cheap and the scenery is to die for:
2. Hike Up Victoria Peak. You can take the bus to the top and then from there, climb to the TOP TOP. Most tourists just stay at the observatory, but if you enjoy hiking, then the view is definitely worth sweating for:
3. Bargain at the Night Markets. There’s all sorts of cheap shopping in Hong Kong, fake market, jade market, electronic market, etc., but nothing beats the thrill of going shopping late at night. Make sure when you are bargaining to start your initial price as a third (or quarter) of the price they ask for and then work your way up.
4. Take a Walk through the Avenue of Stars. If you like seeing the pretty skylines then head over to the Avenue of Stars and take a long walk:
5. Have a Bird’s Eye View from the International Finance Center. It’s free, just go up to the top where there’s a bar and order a drink:
6. Party at Lan Kwai Fong. Nothing will beat this. LKF is probably THE MOST international place I have ever partied at in my entire life. It’s a small area packed with 7/11 (you’ll see people drinking outside of it, which is actually part of the fun), bars and clubs. Anytime of the week, there will always be a party.
7. Go hiking on Dragon’s Back. This is totally worth the effort of getting there. It’s a bit far from the city center (you have to take the metro and then the bus). This site does a good job explaining: Discover HK. If you take the bus all the way to the last station (which I did by accident because I fell asleep on the bus), it’ll lead you to the beach. The hike is rather easy, but the view is incredible.
8. Eat Dim Sum. It’s a HK specialty, don’t leave without eating it. Simple as that.
9. Take a Mini Paradise Vacation on Lamma Island. Take a boat ride to one of Hong Kong’s many islands. I highly recommend Lamma Island because it has a good mix of hiking and relaxing at the beach.
10. Go on the Ngong Ping 360. This is something I regret NOT doing while I’ve been to Hong Kong (three times and still have never been because it’s always been too far). Anyways, I saw it on my way from the airport and it looks pretty awesome. I’ve had friends who have gone on it and told me that it is totally worth the money:
Anyways, that’s it from me. Hope you guys enjoyed this post and please leave any comments, questions and suggestions below if you have any!